Dr. Leaman directs the MBA program at Eastern Mennonite University teaching courses in both the MBA program and the undergraduate business program. His industry experience has been in both private business and nonprofit administration, most recently including 12 years of service with an international non-governmental organization (NGO) in Kenya. Dr. Leaman’s teaching and research interest includes analyzing the role and impact of business and organizations within ecological limits and dynamic social systems, resulting in an integrated lens of sustainability and stewardship.
Dr. Leaman teaches graduate courses in organizational and leadership studies and undergraduate courses in business and economics. He has also led several student cross-cultural trips to East Africa.
• PhD, University of Pittsburgh, 2009
• MPA, James Madison University, 1990
• BS, Eastern Mennonite University, 1986
Sample Publications and Presentations
Leaman, James M. (2012), “Toward Restorative Leadership”, Papers and Proceedings of the inaugural Annual Conference on Sustainability in Business, Issued December, 2012.
Leaman, James M. (2012), “Student Discovery and Active Learning in Economics: Autonomy, Position Papers and Student Debate Yield Engaged, Transformative Learning”, Papers and Proceedings of the Twenty Third Annual Teaching Economics Conference, May issue 2012.
Leaman, James M. (2011), “Why are Gas Prices so Low?”, The Mennonite, May Issue 2011, 05/01/11.
Leaman, James M. (2010), “Management: Current Practices and New Directions”, Book Review inChristian Business Academy Review (CBAR), Spring Issue 2010, vol. V, no. 1.
Commentary on the Macro Economy of the United States, Annual Conference of Mennonite Economic Development Associates (MEDA), Wichita, KS, November, 2013.
Peer Review Board for the Virginia Social Science Journal (2013).
Book Review Team for Sharp, Register and Grimes (2013), Economics of Social Issues, 20th ed., McGraw-Hill Irwin: New York.
Commentary on the Macro Economy of the United States, Annual Conference of Mennonite Economic Development Associates (MEDA), Niagara, ON, Canada, November, 2012.
Toward Restorative Leadership, Plenary Presentation at the Conference on Sustainability in Business, Jaipuria Institute of Management (Jaipur Campus), Jaipur, India, December, 2012.
Autonomy, Position Papers and Student Debate Yield Engaged, Transformative Learning, The 23rd Annual Conference for Teaching Economics: Instruction and Classroom Based Research, Robert Morris University, Pittsburgh, PA, February, 2012.
Professional Service and Memberships
• Board Member, Bright Kids Uganda Foundation (March 2012 – present)
• Board Member, Members Financial Services, a CUSO of PVFCU (2008 – present)
• Board Member, Shenandoah Valley Chapter of Mennonite Economic Development Association (2007 – 2013)
• Administration and Stewardship Commission, Park View Mennonite Church (2008 – present)
• Creation Care Council, Chair, Park View Mennonite Church (2009 – present)
• American Economic Association (AEA)
• Society for International Development (SID)
• Academy of Management (AOM)
• Mennonite Economic Development Association (MEDA)