Dr. Karen Klassen Harder is Professor of Business at Bluffton University where she teaches courses in traditional undergraduate, degree completion and MBA program. She has had significant experience working with church-related and community-based not for profit organizations, as a board member and organizational consultant. She has led several MBA business study experiences to China (2008, 2010, 2012), in association with Mennonite Partners in China.
Karen teaches undergraduate courses in Management and Human Resource Management. She teaches graduate courses in Organizational Behavior and Strategy.
• Ph.D., Purdue University, 1990
• BS, Bethel College (Kansas), 1979
Sample Publications and Presentations
Harder, K. (January 2014). Living Faith: Embracing God’s Callings. Book review in Mennonite Quarterly Review, January 2014, No. 1.
Harder, K. (November 2013). MEDA Convention Workshop Presentation, “Cultivating leadership of organizations: What boards and board members need to know” (November 2013)
Harder, K (February 2013). Organizations in transition: Nonprofit organizations. Bluffton University Colloquium.
Harder, K. (March 2012). Bluffton University Women’s Council Workshop, Bluffton, Ohio
Harder, K. (October 2012). “Women in leadership,” Women’s Community Forum, Findlay, Ohio
Harder, K. (November 2008). MEDA Convention Workshop Presentation, “Muhammad Yunus: Creating a World without Poverty: Social Business and the Future of Capitalism” (November 2008)
Harder, K. “Visions for the Church and Plans for Carrying Them Out,” Atlanta 2003, Mennonite Church USA Conference, with George Lehman.
Harder, K. “Church Budgets: Blueprints or Straitjackets?” Atlanta 2003, Mennonite Church USA Conference, with George Lehman.
Harder, K. “Career Transitions,” Atlanta 2003, Mennonite Church USA Conference, with George Lehman.
Harder, K. (1998-2001). “Church Cooperative Congregational Studies Project: A National Interfaith Survey of Congregations in 2000. Lily Funded, Hartford Seminary Coordinated. Researcher for Mennonite Church USA.
Professional Service and Memberships
• Blanchard Valley Health System (2006 - ); Board Member
• Ten Thousand Villages (2007 - ); Board Member
• Praxis Mutual Funds (1994 - ); Board Member
• Mennonite World Conference (2010 - ); Consultant
• Mennonite Education Agency Educational Opportunity Task Force (2007); Co-facilitator
• Mennonite Central Committee (1994 – 2006); Board Member, (1999-2006); Chair
• Mennonite Education Agency Investments Task Force (2004-2005); Member
• Bluffton University Committees and Task Forces (Graduate Program, Athletics, Search, Honors, etc.)
• Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
• Academy of Management (AOM)
• Mennonite Economic Development Associates (MEDA)